Soft Skills, Sharp English: Interacting with Others
SOFT SKILLS, SHARP ENGLISH combines English language learning with training on essential career skills that apply across sectors, industries, and business functions. It is designed for busy professionals who use English as a Second Language in their careers and want to get the maximum return for the time they invest in their learning and development.
The Language Elements
You will learn:
· Effective techniques for language acquisition and maintenance
· Specific vocab for common tasks relating to each of the topics (see below)
· Tools for implementing the learnings into your career.
The Career Skills
This course is one of a series of three. When taken together all designed to provide a complete range of intellectual and communication skills which are applicable to a broad range of careers. The focus in COURSE 1 INTERACTING WITH OTHERS is on interpersonal skills. For each topic, the content (the techniques you will learn) and the language (the English you will learn and perfect) are closely linked. The topics are as follows:
· LISTENING skills including active listening, probing, and asking questions for clarification)
· FACILITATION skills (preparing for meetings by writing discussion guides and planning the room layout, understanding group dynamics and learning how to make them work for you and not against you, running meetings online.)
· NEGOTIATION skills (basic concepts, styles and tactics)
· PRESENTATION skills (signposting and navigation, dealing with questions, body language, vocal energy and intonation, rehearsal).